According to a new survey of more than 850 Americans conducted by Marriott Caribbean & Mexico Resorts (www.paradisebymarriott.com), a majority feel that, when it comes to love, they are more romantic than their partners but could still use a little help to spark passion in their relationship.
The survey also found an overwhelming 92 per cent of respondents agreeing that traveling as a couple provides sparks in the relationship, however 51 per cent felt they don’t plan amorous getaways often enough. More than 57 per cent of respondents also lamented that, when it came to remembering anniversaries and special occasions, their partner was more likely to be the forgetful one.
As a remedy, the collection of eight luxurious resorts in seven destinations across the Caribbean and Mexico has developed “Cupid on Call”, a new “emergency romance program” designed to help even those most romantically challenged spice up – or repair – their relationships. The program features a menu of love-inspiring amenities available for purchase and delivery, including flowers, dinner on the beach, chocolate and champagne upon arrival, and couples-themed spa treatments, as well as complimentary offerings such as suggestions for the most romantic locations around the resort and destination. Add-on offerings at individual resorts may include a selection of romantic greeting cards, choice of love poems and love-inspired music to help set the mood.
According to Michelle Bozoki, director of marketing and eCommerce for Marriott and Caribbean and Latin America Resorts, the “Cupid on Call” program is the antidote for those time-starved romantics who are trying to find ways to reconnect.
“In today’s hectic, stress-filled world, couples are bombarded with so many distractions that they don’t always find the time to be romantic. So we’ve created the ‘Cupid on Call’ program to help even the most affection-starved couples feel like they are in a romance novel,” said Bozoki. “Essentially we are giving even the least romantic and most forgetful partner the chance to make up for it while they are staying with us. Whether they need to say ‘I love you’ or even ‘I’m sorry’ we’re here to help.”
Marriott Caribbean & Mexico Resorts’ “Cupid on Call” amenities are available now and will run throughout 2014. Guests wishing to take advantage of this program can alert hotel staff upon arrival or check within the resort activities guide or the concierge desk for all available offerings.
According to Bozoki, the survey was originally designed to be a fun way to glean information on traveller preferences but became an eye opener on how romantic the respondents perceived their partners — and themselves — to be.
“It was interesting for us to see how many people felt they needed some assistance in planning for their romantic holiday together,” said Bozoki. “It was also intriguing to see how they perceived their partner’s attitude on romance. It became obvious that a little help would be appreciated.”
Among the survey’s findings:
• 43 per cent of travellers expressed interest in utilizing the help of a third party to plan romantic activities and gestures on vacation.
• 50 per cent agreed an ideal romantic date on vacation is taking in a beautiful sunset together on the beach.
• 57 per cent of respondents believed they were more romantic than their partner.
• 48 per cent said they were more likely to plan a romantic escape than their partner.
• 50 per cent said taking in the sunset by the beach is an ideal romantic date on vacation.
• 43 per cent reported flowers are the best way to say “I’m sorry”.
• “The Notebook” was voted most all-time romantic movie, closely followed by “Sleepless in Seattle” and the classic, “Casablanca”.
• Frank Sinatra’s “The Way You Look Tonight” was deemed most romantic song, followed by “I Will Always Love You” by Whitney Houston and Percy Sledge’s “When a Man Loves a Woman” at 24 per cent.
• 43 per cent voted Prince William and Kate Middleton as the ideal celebrity couple to double date with, out ranking power houses Kim Kardashian and Kanye West, Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie and Will and Jada Pinkett Smith.